Healthy Paraffin-free Candlelight

Healthy Paraffin-free Candlelight

The dark season started again.....

Who does not like to enjoy the atmospheric tranquility of burning candlelight?

Only a few years ago, we used to have a very excessive use of candles - not just at Christmas time.

Conclusions were blackened ceilings in the kitchen due to the soot and respiratory problems.

Frankly, at that time, we have not thought about the ingredients of candles at all.

Probably very few of us know about the health risks of household candles.

Approximately 90-95% of these candles are made from paraffin.

They are a waste product of the petroleum industry.
When burning, a lot of harmful substances are secreted.

Included among others are benzene, toluene and lead, which can lead to asthma, allergic reactions and skin rashes by release.

Since we did not want to give up the cozy feeling of a burning candle, we changed our entire inventories to candles made from 100% plant biomass (without palm oil) and beeswax.


If you also like to enjoy the cozy atmosphere of candlelight, then here are a few tips for you:

  • Free your house from paraffin candles and switch to natural candles made of pure stearin or 100% beeswax.
    (Caution! Some manufacturers sell candles, which consist only partly of beeswax with added paraffin)
  • Pure beeswax candles are not cheap, but they burn down clean and leave a nice fragrance.


Another advantage is the longer burning time.

Stearin candles burn down to the last bit.
With beeswax candles, you will have residues, which you can use to make new candles or you could also process them into cosmetics.

In case you do use paraffin candles....:

  • Definitely, think about the amount of burning candles.

  • Extinguish the candles quickly to avoid unnecessary soot.

  • After burning open the windows to clean the air.

  • When shopping, be careful not to buy candles with a lead wick! Normally, this should no longer be offered on the market, but better to be on the safe side.

  • Avoid perfumed candles and unnatural fresheners.
    They emit an additional variety of chemical and synthetic fragrances, which can lead to contact dermatitis, headaches and nausea.

For your health, we rather recommend to spent a little more money to enjoy the upcoming Christmas season with a clear conscience.


We wish you a beautiful first Advent weekend!

No comments yet.

Post your comment